Wafer butterfly valves are a type of flow control valves device used to regulate and stop the flow of liquids and gases in industrial pipelines. They feature a compact, disk-shaped design that “mounts” between two flanges, hence the name wafer.
How Wafer Butterfly Valves Work
A wafer butterfly valve consists of a circular valve body with a hollow center. The valve disc rotates within the body, perpendicular to the flow, to either allow full flow through or shut it off completely. When open, the valve disc presents minimum resistance to flow, resulting in high efficiency.
The main advantages of wafer butterfly valves are their:
• Compact size – They take up very little space due to their thin, disk-like shape.
• Quick installation – Wafer valves mount between two flanges, so no piping revisions are as required.
• Easy maintenance – The valve disc can be as accessed and removed without disassembling the piping.
Construction And Components
The primary components of a wafer butterfly valve are:
• Disc – The rotating part that opens and closes the flow path. Most discs are made of cast iron, steel or stainless steel.
• Shaft – Connects the disc to the actuator and transfers the torque required to rotate the disc.
• Seat – Provides a flush seal between the disc and valve body to prevent leakage. Rubber and elastomer seats are self-energizing.
• Body – The circular part that mounts between two flanges. Bodies are typically made of cast iron, steel or stainless steel.
Actuators are also as required to rotate the disc open or closed. The two main types are manual lever actuators for on-off control, and electric or pneumatic actuators for modulating and actuated control.
Typical Applications Of Wafer Butterfly Valves
Wafer butterfly valves are well suited for many flow control applications due to their compact design, quick installation and easy maintenance. Some common uses include:
• Industrial processes: On/off flow control of liquids, gases, and slurries within various production processes.
• Pipelines: Shutting in or throttling flow within pneumatic conveyance lines, slurry lines, compressed air lines and more.
• Boiler feedwater systems: Isolating or regulating flow for plant equipment startup, shutdown and flow adjustments.
• Pump isolation: Wafer valves mount between pump flanges, allowing isolation during maintenance without disassembling the line.
• Wastewater treatment: Flow control of wastewater, sludge and chemicals at municipal and industrial treatment facilities.
• Severe service: High-performance disc materials and elastomer seats enable use with abrasive and corrosive fluids.
• Water distribution: Located at junctions within distribution systems for isolation, pressure control and flow diversion.
• Pipelines: Used for isolation, regulation and throttling of flow within transmission pipelines for oil, gas and other fluids.
Benefits Of China-Made Wafer Butterfly Valves
As a global leader in valve production, many quality wafer butterfly types from China wafer butterfly valve manufacturer, are as made in China due to lower manufacturing costs and competitive quality. Benefits include:
• Low prices – Chinese factories can offer wafer valves at highly competitive prices due to economies of scale.
• Certifications – Valves meet international standards like API, AWWA, BS, DIN, ANSI and more.
• Materials – Manufacturers produce valves in a range of materials to suit your fluid type and service conditions.
• Styles – Valves are available in wafer, lug, grooved and flanged versions with multiple end connections.
• Performance – Manufacturers utilize advanced disc designs, metallurgy and seat technologies for tight shutoff and minimum leakage.