Butterfly valves are commonly as used in fluid control applications and piping systems all over China. As one of the most versatile and economical valve types available, butterfly valves have a wide range of uses. And are typically preferred over other valve types for many flow control needs. This blog post will explore the common uses of butterfly valves in more detail, cover the major components that make up a butterfly valve. And discuss some key advantages of using butterfly valves made in China.
Uses And Applications Of Butterfly Valve China
- Isolation – One of the primary uses of butterfly valves is for isolating or shutting off flow completely in a section of pipe. By closing the disc perpendicular to the flow, butterfly valves provide a tight shut-off that is better than gate valves for most medium to high-pressure applications. Their tight-closing capability makes them well-suited for isolation during maintenance or repairs.
- Throttling – As modulation control valves, butterfly valves can effectively regulate and control the flow of liquids through a partial-open position. Their thin disc provides smooth and gradual throttling abilities to modulate flow as needed in various processing and distribution applications. This makes them a common choice for flow control in applications like pumping systems.
- Wastewater Treatment – In China’s rapidly growing wastewater treatment industry, butterfly valves play an important role in process flow control. They are extensively used for isolating and controlling flow in various treatment plant components like sedimentation tanks, filters and digesters. Their tight shut-off prevents leaks and cross-contamination between treatment stages.
- Power Plants – Thermal and hydroelectric power plants in China rely on butterfly valves for critical flow control duties in steam, water and bypass piping systems. Their tight shut-off and modulation capabilities make them well-suited for boiler blowdown, circulating water, condenser water and drainage applications to safely direct and regulate high-temperature and high-pressure flows.
- Chemical Processing – The chemical manufacturing industry sees widespread butterfly valve use due to their resistance to corrosion. Applications include flow control of chemicals, acids and other corrosive fluids in tanks, vessels and piping. Their tight shut-off prevents material cross-contamination and spills.
- Pulp and Paper Mills – Process flows of fiber slurries, recycled water and various chemicals in papermaking require reliable shut-off and throttling control. Actually, it provided by butterfly valves. They isolate units like stock preparation systems, whitewater storage tanks and digesters from one another during maintenance periods.
Major Components Of A Butterfly Valve
- Disc – The thin, circular disc spanning the diameter of the pipe is the heart of a butterfly valve. It rotates 90 degrees from fully open to fully closed around its pivoting stem. Discs are available in a variety of resilient materials suited for the specific fluid being handled.
- Stem – Attached at the center of the disc, the stem transmits the rotating motion from the actuator to turn the disc. It seals inside the body with dynamic stem seals to prevent leaks while remaining lubricated.
- Body – The main body housing encloses the disc and stem assembly. Three-piece wafer or lug style bodies allow the valve to be easily installed between flanges for in-line piping applications in China.
- Seat – Resilient seat rings secure inside the valve body and provide a tight shut-off surface for the disc edge to seal against when closed. Quality seats are crucial for preventing leaks.
- Actuator – Gear, pneumatic or electric actuators mounted on top of the valve body provide torque to open and close the disc. Actuators ensure tight shut-off as well as accurate throttling control in partial-open positions.
Advantages Of Butterfly Valves From China
- Cost-Effectiveness – As one of the simplest and most lightweight valve designs, butterfly valves provide an economical solution compared to other types. Chinese manufacturers keep costs low through mass production.
- Compact Size – Their compact in-line design takes up much less space than gate valves of the same nominal size. This reduces installed costs and allows more valves per linear foot of piping.
- Easy Maintenance – Butterfly valves have fewer moving butterfly valve components than most other designs, reducing maintenance requirements. The disc and seat area is easily accessible for inspection, repair or replacement if needed.
- Wide Temperature Range – Resilient discs and seats allow butterfly valves to handle a wide temperature range from cryogenic to high-temperature steam applications. This versatility increases their usage.
- Severe Service Options – Special alloys, coatings and designs from Chinese manufacturers withstand corrosion. And also extended use with abrasive slurries or chemicals that would destroy other valves.
- Reliability – When properly selected and installed, butterfly valves from reputable China-based manufacturers provide years of dependable throttling and isolation control for demanding applications.